All Giant Jamboree attendees are expected to follow these policies throughout the event. If you have any questions or concerns about these policies, please send us an email at hq [AT] igem [DOT] org.
iGEM Specific Policies
The following are policies set by iGEM HQ and all attendees must follow these rules.
1. All teams must follow the iGEM Rules of Conduct at all times.
2. See something, say something! Report any problem or concern to a staff member, volunteer, or to the iGEM HQ tables located outside of the poster halls and on the third floor.
3. Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated. This includes verbal, sexual, and physical harassment. This also includes harassment over social media as well as in person.
Hynes Convention Center Policies
The following are rules set by the Hynes Convention Center and all Giant Jamboree attendees must adhere to these rules as well as the iGEM Policies above.
1. Outside food and drink are not allowed in the Hynes Convention Center.
2. Smoking and/or vaping are not allowed inside buildings in Massachusetts. There are designated areas outside of the Hynes Convention Center for this purpose.
3. No open flames are allowed indoors.
4. No pets of any kind are allowed. Exception: Service animals are allowed.
Below is a list of restricted items for the Giant Jamboree. This is not an extensive list and we ask that you contact us if you are bringing any materials to the Giant Jamboree. This includes items to be displayed in the Exhibition Space and during your presentation or at your poster. Please contact us at hq [AT] igem [DOT] org no later than October 20, 2017.
iGEM Restricted Items
The following are specific items that are not allowed as decided by iGEM HQ.
1. No lab materials are allowed at the Giant Jamboree, including biological and/or chemical items (including fluorescein), which also includes synthesized DNA. If you have any questions about this, please contact the Safety Committee at safety [AT] igem [DOT] org.
2. No country flags are allowed.
- Why: iGEM is an international competition and we do not want to have any country emphasized over another. This is of particular importance during the iGEM From Above photograph as we want to highlight the entire community without calling any attention to a subset of teams.
Please note: If you make a team project flag, you cannot have your country flag in the design.
Hynes Convention Center Restricted Items
The following are items that not allowed per the rules of the Hynes Convention Center.
1. No balloons. If balloons get caught up in the ceiling, expensive lift equipment is required to remove the balloons.
2. No stickers. This is to prevent people from placing stickers on the walls and floors, which will result in an excessive cleaning fee.
3. No drones or any other flying object. The Boston Fire Department must be hired at the Hynes in order for drones or any other flying object to be allowed inside since the smoke detectors must be turned off for drones.
4. No weapons of any kind. This should be self-explanatory and is meant to maintain the public safety of the event.
If you fail to follow these policies and restrictions, the Responsible Conduct Committee will be asked to investigate the issue and it may lead to your team’s disqualification in the competition.